Having written quite a few posts by now, I decided to make a page where I showcase the posts I have written that I’m most proud of.
Here is a quick list of all featured posts. Further down, you can see a more elaborate explanation for why the post is part of my favorites.
Making Balls Bounce off of Walls in a Labyrinth (June, 2014)
I’m also really proud of this post because I felt like I had elegantly solved a very old problem I had had. When I was making games in Flash when I was younger, I had lots of ideas for games, but a good portion of them involved mazes and things bouncing, so I never got around to making them.
Newton’s Fractals – Generating Images from Roots (May, 2014)
I really enjoyed working on this post, and I was really happy with the result. I was initially inspired by a post I saw on the /r/math subreddit on Reddit. What I also really liked was how visually aesthetic I was able to make the images. I had prior felt a little bit jealous that /u/dln385’s post on generating images from regular expressions had gotten so much more attention than my post. But I realized that this was because his post was much better than mine. So, I tried doing the same thing with Newton’s Fractals (adding shade, and writing the equation in the lower right corner), and I feel like I succeeded in my goal!
Generating Images from Regular Expressions (March, 2014)
The inspiration behind this post came from my dad, who’s a professor in computer science. One of his colleagues has a class on Finite Automata and Languages. My dad had mentioned the technique, but didn’t knew the details. So I wrote to my dad’s colleague, and he was kind enough to provide me with lecture notes, making it possible for me to replicate the technique.
I also really liked the amount of response I got to this post. It spanwed numerous spin-offs of people replicating the technique. Most notably by Reddit user /u/dln385 who made a fantastic post on the same subject. His submission to Reddit ended up being the second most upvoted post on the computer science subreddit.
Embedding hidden messages in plain-text MK-II (December, 2013)
The inspiration behind this post actually came from one my friends who had read my original post on this subject. He had an idea which drastically improved the amount of characters possible to hide in plaintext. I really liked this post because the solution is so elegant. I also liked performing the analysis on how much better the new technique was than the old one.
Steganography and PNG’s MK-III (November, 2013)
This was actually part of a series I made. But here I felt like I had perfected the technique (I haven’t, as pointed out by commentor Burn). In this final post of the series I had made it possible to store another image with in an image, without anyone being the wiser – using steganography.
Converting .gif’s to their ASCII representation (November, 2013)
This post was really fun working on. Initially I hadn’t thought the images would be nearly as good as they ended up getting, which really surprised me. Another part of this post that I really enjoyed was the tonnes of feedback I received from the good folks over at Reddit! When I finally made the above post, my submission on Reddit was already the 8th upvoted post on the computer science subreddit.
Finding an analytic value for (August, 2013)
First post on this blog! I really liked working on this post, because I had in a way “rediscovered” some deeper mathematical truths. I had read up on the Basel Problem, and thought it was really cool, but it left some unanswered questions. If it was super difficult finding an analytic value for , why shouldn’t there also exist a hidden analytic value for ? It was the first time I had a mathematical hypothesis that I tried testing. Although my program failed to find an analytic value for , it did find analytic values for , , and , which I thought was super cool.
2D cross sections of a 3D rotating cuboid (June, 2013)
This is actually one of my worst documented posts – I didn’t really want to elaborate on the technique used in the post. This doesn’t change the fact that I find the program itself really cool. It was one of the first times I actually tried working with equations myself and finding the solution to a problem that was really hard. Another thing I really liked was that it’s output is super counter-intuitive. There was no way of predicting what the output was going to look like, and I was astounded by this fact.
Mathemusica v1.02 – Making music from equations (April, 2013)
This is one of my older posts, but I like it because of all the work I put into making it. It was one the first times I seriously tried using JFrames and making a GUI. Although the GUI is ugly, and the music it produces sounds really bad, it’s one of the first projects I made that I’m actually proud of.